Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

TOP 5 FICTIONAL AFRICAN LOCATIONS



I like to think that Africa has been well represented in the real world but unfortunately this has not been the case; luckily, in the realm of fiction, African has been a constant source of great stories and locales. Here are my "Top 5 Fictional African Locations".



5.
Gorilla City
Gorilla City is home to the DC villain known as Grodd or Gorilla Grodd. Yes I know this place isn't exactly friendly to humans, but come on its a city built by super intelligent apes. It was hidden in the jungles of Africa using stealth technology but recently revealed itself to the world and is a part of the U.N. It is a city ran by gorillas, this automatically makes my number 5.

4. 
Zamunda
Zamunda, home to Prince Hakeem and King Jaffe Joffer, this fictional kingdom can be found in the comedy " Coming to America. It embellishes the royal lifestyle and I love it; having an unnecessarily large table, maids that are at your disposal, flower girls and your face on the money? Sure you'd have to actually be royalty but hey the country looks pretty dope and I'm sure I could work my way into the royal guard at the very least. Prince Hakeem found his queen in Queens and his country number 4 on my list.

3.
Genosha
Ok I'm going to be frank with you, Genosha is a deserted island nation off the coast of Africa and was once under the rule of the now-good Magneto. Even so, this island nation was a safe haven for mutants to escape persecution by those who would like to see them dead. This is a Marvel universe location so it'll most likely be brought back to life somehow, but let's focus on the cool stuff yeah? This place used to house and entire nation of mutants; at its peak it had 16 million of them and an advance society. I'm a human so I couldn't go but hey its fictional so I'd just make myself into a super cool mutant and hang out with other mutants....until the island got destroyed that is. This forgotten beauty lands at number 3 on my list.

2. 
Babar's Kingdom
So clearly I have a love of anthropomorphic animals but that is neither here nor there, Babar's Kingdom comes in at number 2. The reason why I ranked it so high is that the kingdom itself is a very fair and balanced place. The majority of the residents are bipedal elephants but even the minorities are treated with the exact same level of respect as an elephant. There are some obvious allegories to real life there but I like to think that if a kingdom led by an elephant can attain peace, then maybe humans can too...also he's a talking elephant that wears a crown.

1.
Wakanda
Was there ever any doubt as to what number 1 would be? Of course I'd pick Wakanda, it has everything I'd ever want in a place. Highly advanced technology? Check. One of the biggest powers in the world? Check. Home to the most sought after resource in the world? That's another check. Add in the fact that its leader is a bad ass superhero , The Black Panther, and it has never been invaded before and its obvious as to why this fictional nation takes the cake. Did I mention that its leader is a freaking superhero?! I just made myself sad because this place doesn't exist and I want it to. 

Well there you have it, my "Top 5 Fictional African Locations" list is complete. If I missed any or if you also have a Top 5 list, let me know. I'm gonna go email the U.N. that they need to make Wakanda a real thing, that's how it works right?

-DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment