Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

SATURDAY WRAP-UP: LIVE BELOW THE LINE


Challenge: Live Below the Line (1.50/day) 

Groceries
Oatmeal (1.00)
 Cheese Dippers (1.00)
Noodles(3/.99)
Fiber One Bars (1.50)
Apples (5/1.15)
Mac n Cheese (2/1.00)
Bread Roll (.25)

Total: 6.64

I lived below the poverty line the past five days, and I have to say it's not quite what I expected. When I first thought about living on only 1.50/day, I was overwhelmed and didn't think I would make it past day 2. In actuality, I found not eating as much food everyday was not as horrible as I had previously imagined.By the third day, it had become apart of my daily life routine and I didn't think about it as much.The worst thing for me was consuming all of that sodium and eating the same meals everyday. Variety is the spice of life and I had none. Well, I did switch up my dinners some nights, but still. 
Breakfast: Oatmeal(.20) 

Lunch: Fiber Bar (.30), Apple(.23), & Tap Water (FREE)
What really caught me off guard, was other people's reaction to what I was doing. People were baffled that I would "starve" myself, to "simply bring awareness" to a cause. All week people were offering me food and saying how I must be starving, and wanted to buy me lunch/dinner because technically it would not be cheating. I said thanks, but no thanks to a lot of people and continued eating my green apple.

Dinner: Mac n Cheese(.50) 
Dinner: Noodles(.33), Bread (.05)


I'm extremely thankful for the people that were so concerned about me and my well-being; however, what  about the people who have to live on 1.50 or less everyday? Who's concerned about them? I refused to complain about not being to eat certain things because there are people  around the world have it a lot worse than I do. Luckily for me, I'm able to go back to living above the poverty line, but their are millions of people that cannot say the same. I will definitely live below the line again next year and the year after that and continue to bring awareness to poverty. 

-ASHA 






    







No comments:

Post a Comment