Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELA!




For as long as I can remember, I've always been a performer. I would put on  plays or choreograph dances, and force my parents (and stuffed animals) to watch. And the more I got into the arts, the more I was able to appreciate different type of artistic expression: dance, music, writing, etc. But despite all of the different art exhibits or plays I've attended (which were all great in their own right), nothing really inspired me...and then, came Fela!


ADESOLA OSAKALUMI AS FELA
Fela! is inspired by Carlos Moore's 1982 book Fela! This Bitch of A Life, and tells the story of Nigerian musician Fela Anikulapo Kuti and his conflicting love/hate relationship with his hometown of Lagos. Angry by the corruption and the constant memory of his beloved mother's death, Fela vows to leave Nigeria behind and start anew.

From the moment the show started, I was hooked. I went from being an audience member at the Ahmanson Theatre  to suddenly being transported into this new world. And underneath the exciting Afro-beat music, the colorful clothes, and happy smiles laid a tragically beautiful world going through devastating turmoil and I couldn't help but care for the people and their well being.

THE AMAZING SUPPORTIVE. THEY REALLY BROUGHT IT!
Actor Adesola Osakalumi (Fela) was everything a leading man should be: engaging, charming, and extremely talented. While Adesola kept my attention, actress Melanie Marshall (Funmilayo, Fela's mother) grounded the story, bringing it back to a sincere and honest place; her hauntingly beautiful voice literally gave me chills.

GIRLS NIGHT OUT WITH MY TWO FAVORITE LADIES
What I love most is that Fela's story isn't about race, gender, or politics. It's a story about a person trying to find himself and find his purpose, which we can all relate to. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.


- FARIDA

No comments:

Post a Comment