Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

LIVE BELOW THE LINE


Starting today I will be living below the poverty line, in support of the Live Below the Line campaign. This initiative aims to "challenge the way people in the US think about poverty" and bring awareness for global poverty. The challenge is to feed yourself on 1.50 a day for five days. Poverty lines vary in different countries, so those in Canada, UK, Australia, or New Zealand can find their daily dollar amount here.  

Even though I've grown up in the United States my entire life, my reason for taking the challenge is to bring awareness to the poverty in the Democratic Republic of Congo. I think people are aware of the situation, but quickly forget  how devastating it really is. I realize that after five days we all get to go back to our regular eating habits, but I think this brief glimpse into the lives of poverty stricken people, will help us gain a better understanding of the severity of the situation. At least, I hope that is what will happen. 



If you still feel like this is something you're not interested in, would saying celebrities are taking the challenge entice you? Actor-Director Ben Affleck is taking the challenge in support of his Eastern Congo Initiative. Sophia Bush, Debi Mazar, and Josh Groban are all taking the challenge as well. Groban did it last year and was so impacted by it,  he wrote the "Below the Line"song on his recent album. 

Here's a look at what I'll be eating this week. I attempted to be as healthy as possible. There goes my low sodium diet. 


Now...will you join me in this challenge? 


-ASHA

No comments:

Post a Comment