Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

GET FAMILIAR: PHIONA MUTESI


I've always wanted to learn how to play chess. The mental aspect of the game has always intrigued me. If I had played chess as a kid, I probably would have been an OK player, but probably nowhere near the level of Phiona Mutesi, a Ugandan chess player.

Phiona grew up in the slums of Uganda and dropped out of school when she was nine, but as luck would have it, she joined an outreach program and discovered her calling as a chess player. 

She is a three-time women's chess champion and, along with Ivy Amoko, became the first titled women's chess player in Ugandan history. Phiona continues to make history as she is the first female to win the National Juniors Chess Championship in Uganda, the youngest to win the African chess championship, and has a book and movie being optioned by Disney. 

I hope that she becomes a Grand Master one day, not only because that is the goal of all who play chess, but how awesome is that as a title? Grand Master DJ...I better learn how to play now, I have a lot of ground to cover.

-DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment