Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

MUSIC MONDAY: WOMEN WHO ROCK


Being that March is Women's History Month, I've decided to dedicate all of my posts this month to female African artists, (sorry boys). In the past, I discussed a few of my female music loves like Asa, Denitia Odigie, and various others, but none of them rock like the ladies below. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy the ladies I've shared with you all so far, but Shingai Shoniwa, Inge Beckmann, Ebony Bones and Karen Zoid are full-blown rock stars

Each of these ladies front their own band and command the stage in every performance. They also have amazing stage outfits that I would love to wear. 

Shingai Shoniwa 
Why She Rocks: The Zimbabwean jammed with Sir Paul McCartney backstage at an African Express event in London last year. Watch here

Inge Beckmann 
Why She Rocks: Beckmann is the lead singer for both Lark and Beast. 

Ebony Bones
Why She Rocks: How many people do you know that can turn a song titled "Don't Fart On My Heart" into a hit?
Listen:Warrior 

Karen Zoid

Why She Rocks: Her lyrics are so amazing, they are apart of the curriculum in Afrikaans poetry courses at multiple universities. 
Listen:Big Mouth 

-ASHA




No comments:

Post a Comment