Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

FASHION FRIDAY: CYNTHIA CHISOM



London-based fashion model Cynthia Chisom took the time out of her busy schedule  to answer a few TDB questions. Her responses were so insightful, they really blew me away; not only is she a true beauty, but she also has the brains to match!




1.      What inspires you?
I am greatly inspired by people’s journey and the life lessons they share along the way. The true life stories of resilience, faith, divine intervention and triumph in the face of obstacles offer a pathway for me to stay motivated to fight harder for the good causes I believe in.

2.      Who are your style/fashion icons?
My modern day fashion Icon is definitely Victoria Beckham. She is the crème of the crop in all things fashionable and exquisite. Her poise, elegance and grace distinctively exemplify how every lady should look like and carry themselves at all times. I also love the American TV personality and model Olivia Palermo. Her style is simple, elegant and effortlessly chic.

3.      Which city do you think has the best style?
I believe London has the best sense of style. People here have very strong individual looks which are relatively minimal, a little bit posh, clean, simple and sophisticated yet relatable. There is also a continuous interplay between the eccentric styles and the more structured look. Next to London in style wars is definitely New York and Tokyo.

4.      What is one fashion/beauty advice you swear by?
The beauty advice I swear by is relatively simple ‘I cleanse, tone, moisturize’ daily.  I do not believe anyone should exist without a good beauty care system or routine. It is a minimal effort that produces amazing results. I will recommend Obagi care systems and Dr Manuka Bee venom range of products,both care systems has changed my skin. They are amazing.

5.      How, if at all, does your African heritage influence your style?
My African heritage has a great influence on my sense of style. I am obsessed with earth tones, bold graphic tribal prints, ornamented bold jewelry and hand beaded bags. With my cultural background comes decency and discipline with the way I dress. I try to mirror a style that is modest yet fashion forward and relatable.

6.       African style has been a trend on the runway, in music and even with celebrities. Do you think that it has the potential to be mainstream, and have longevity, or is it just a trend?
The African inspired style is here to stay and the mainstram players are paying more detailed attention to the dynamic trends emerging from Africa. The African influence has always been infused in mainstream fashion and music decades ago. We are just getting the recognition we deserve and it is amazing how the entire industry is embracing the cultural essence of our existence.

7.      How do you think Africans are utilized/perceived in fashion? Does fashion highlight our beauty, or exploit our heritage?
I believe Africans have emerged as a core in the fashion scene and our input on what is wearable, fashion forward and attainable are taken into consideration in big industry decision making. Gone are the timid perceptions of Africans. We are now embraced as vibrant, bold and exuberant. Fashion to a great degree is an extension of our rich cultural heritage. Fashion definitely highlights our indigenous beauty and offers a mirror that by which the external world could admire and view us differently.

8.      How do you think we as Africans can change the overall public perception of us? Not just in the fashion world, but in the world, in general.
The only way Africans can change the stereotyped perception is by constantly speaking up and enlightening people on the many positives things we are blessed with. We also have to continuously live by good example which is a great tool to correct bad public perception.

9.      What projects are you currently working on?
I am primarily involved in establishing a formal framework that will bring the necessary awareness to the social-cultural and economic plight of young kids in West Africa through my charity “The Blessings and Blossoms Foundation. I am also currently working on the publication and presentation of my inspirational book “Parallel Sapphires: Guidance through Life’s Journey”. It is an amazing read offering detailed guidance on ways to overcome certain obstacles we experience in life, from making choices to building ideas and appreciating our true value.

10.  Finish this sentence: I love being African because… we are bold, strong and courageous individuals, who never give up on our dreams despite a history tarnished with poverty, want and deprivation.

*Just for fun* If you could have dinner with anyone dead or alive…what would you eat? I will choose dinner with my younger brother Ugochukwu Azubike Umezulike(RIP)…. I will make him eat some Caesar salad because he hates veggies.



-DIVA

No comments:

Post a Comment