Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

GET FAMILIAR: JIBA MOLEI ANDERSON


I love comic books, I don't think this comes to a surprise to anyone at this point. Comic books are so interesting to me because they are one of the few things that you can judge by it's cover, that's actually how I found out about Jiba Molei Anderson and his comic book "Horsemen".
Jiba is a  Liberian man  that was born and  raised in Detroit. He is a writer, artist and educator and in 1999 he created his own publishing company, Griot Enterprises. Jiba has done art work for many companies, but he is most known for his 2002 comic book called "Horsemen". Horsemen is about 7 African- American people who are granted powers from the Orishas, of Yoruba Mythology, and their battle to save humanity from itself. The artwork for Horsemen is simply amazing and immediately caught my eye, it's so stylized that you can't help but to be amazed by the level of quality.


 Horsemen is available for purchase here and if you want to follow Jiba on twitter you can go here. It is really nice to see comic books created by Africans that show that we can also protect the planet and aren't just concerned with the well being of a village or stopping inner city crime; it is very refreshing to see the hope of humanity riding on the power of Africans for a change. I really hope that this marks the beginning of a trend in comics and eventually in all of media, but in the mean time I'm gonna go place my order for the 2nd book.

-DJ, the avid comic book fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment