Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

THE BEST OF FARIDA




After celebrating The Dosha Brand's One Year Anniversary I started thinking about all the fun events I've been to and all the great people I've met.

Here's a list of my Top 5 Posts over the past year.



Farida's Cooking Corner : The First Meal


Algerian Chicken Couscous



















This is the very first meal I prepared for my cooking corner and come to think of it, the first meal I've ever really cooked by myself. As you all know, I did a post on Chef Malcolm Riley aka The African Chef and after reading up on all the different African recipes he had, I decided to try my hand at cooking my way through Africa.


Broadway Serves: People Helping People
Kimberly Marable, Co-Founder of Broadway Serves

One of the very first events I attended solo was the photo shoot for Broadway Serves, a service organization comprised of Broadway actors who dedicate their time to giving back. I had the honor to attend a photo shoot for the launch of  Fashion Forward, a fashion initiative that helped raise awareness about charity and the importance of community service. Not only did I capture all of the behind the scene excitement, but I got a chance to talk to  the co-founder Kimberly Marable, and was touched by how much passionate she is about this project.


CalArts World Music & Dance Festival: Dance, Dance Revolution

One of my favorite performances of the night

Every year CalArts University puts together a music festival inspired by different musical styles from around the world; this past year, they held a festival inspired by music from Ghana. Everything about the festival impressed me: the professionalism & stage presence of the dancers, who are all students at CalArts, the costumes, music , lighting, all of which helped make the festival such a success.



Djibril N'Doye: An Artist Among Men

Me & DJ hanging out with the talented Djibril N'Doye
I was so honored to have my very first interview be with artist Djibril N'Doye. Djibril invited us to an intimate viewing of his latest collection, which was such an honor. I remember looking around the room and seeing all the intricate, detailed pieces and being overwhelmed with a strong sense of famialirity; his pieces gave me a strong sense of family. I am so very grateful to have been allowed to see his art first hand. Not only is Djibril a wonderful artist, but a great friend of The Dosha Brand.

Fela!: A Musical Movement


Adesola Osakalumi as Fela
There have been performances that have moved me, inspired me, made me think, but the performances by Adesola Osakalumi (Fela) and Melanie Marshall (Funmilayo, Fela's Mother) managed to do all of the above. I felt a great sense of pride and responsibility as an African after watching Fela; a sense that has remained with me to this day and one that will continue to do so throughout my life.


Being a part of The Dosha Brand has given me the opportunity to meet amazing people, attend some amazing events, and learn more about my very own culture which in turn is helping me learn so much more about myself.

I'm very proud of what we've accomplished so far and am excited to see what's in store for team TDB and hope all of you will continue to stay on this amazing join with us!

- FARIDA


No comments:

Post a Comment