Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

PSA: THE WOMEN'S MOVEMENT IN AFRICA

Aminita Touré

I know this isn't the typical "nerdy" post you'd expect from me, but something has been going on in Africa that hasn't received a ton of coverage stateside (at least nothing I have seen) and I can't just be silent about it.There has been a women's movement going on, that has started to score some big wins in the recent years.  

On September 1st, Aminita Touré was named Prime Minister of Senegal, making her the second female to have done so after Mame Madoir Boye. The Rwandan Parliament now consists of  64% women instead of the 16% it was prior to the genocide. What makes it truly amazing to me is that it happened without the helping hand of outside forces. It is often believed that Africa is mired in traditions that oppress women, but here we have the same women leading nations, spurring on huge social change and bringing about a level of consciousness that was not there previously. 

Hopefully, this will lead to a more egalitarian culture and a more positive image of African women and Africa as a whole. This is the sort of thing that I always love to see, people not being discriminated against based off their gender. I know this is a far cry from total equality, but this is a great step towards that goal.

Excuse me for the psa, I just thought I'd share. 


-DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment