Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

MUSIC MONDAY: ASA


Asa, meaning hawk in Yoruba, is my latest music obsession! The Nigerian singer-songwriter, born Bukola Elemide, has a neo-soul/pop vibe that sounds like the love child of Amy Winehouse and Erykah Badu. With lyrics like, "You don't care about my point of view, if I die another will work for you", from her song "Jailer", it's obvious why BBC Music dubbed her "the 21st century Bob Marley." In many of her songs, Asa flawlessly goes back and forth between singing in English, and her native language, Yoruba. What I enjoy most about the singer is that even though she's already made a name for herself internationally by opening for Beyoncé, Snoop Dogg, and John Legend, she still keeps Africa close to her heart. 

Her video for "Why Can't We" off her sophomore album, is simply amazing! It incorporates some of my favorite things:  bright colors, a good old fashioned soul train line, and my name! Ha.  Enjoy!



Listen to my favorite song from her here.

-ASHA

No comments:

Post a Comment