Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

FASHION FRIDAY: CHRISTINA LOWANGA

Designer Christina Lowanga with her models
Have you ever had a full-circle moment? I had one last week. See, one year for my birthday, I think I was maybe 12, my little cousin made me a dress as a gift. When I say made, I use the term loosely seeing as how she literally stapled fabric together; granted she was only 5 at the time. Fast forward to last Friday night, and I am sitting in the audience of the Gold Thimble Fashion Show, in Los Angeles, watching her garments come down the runway. I was truly impressed and proud to see how much she's truly grown, and honed her craft.



The stand-out pieces for me were the printed jumpsuit that used bold prints that are a definite reflection of her African heritage, as well as the printed skirt that I got to try on backstage, one of the perks of knowing the designer personally. 
TDB's Diva and Asha with the designer
As a fashion-lover and family member, I cannot wait to see what the future brings for the House of Christina Lowanga. She's no longer my little cousin sketching the odd design here or there, she's now a full-blown fashion designer.

-DIVA

No comments:

Post a Comment