Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

FARIDA'S COOKING CORNER


About a month ago, I wrote a post on Malcolm Riley, better known as The African Chef, where I resolved to step-up my cooking game. In the spirit of this declaration, I've decided to make one new African dish a month, for the rest of the year!
My first attempt was an Algerian dinner that I prepared for my entire family. Was I nervous? You bet, but at the end of the day, I'm really happy with how everything turned out, and with the easy-to-follow recipe, anyone can prepare this meal at home.

Algerian Salad
ALGERIAN SALAD

·      2 red bell peppers, de-seeded and finely chopped
·      4 medium very ripe tomatoes, chopped  
·      1 sliced cucumber
·      2 small onions, thinly sliced  
·      black olives, pitted and halved
·      6 anchovy fillets finely chopped
·      2 hard-boiled eggs
·      1 tsp chopped basil or coriander leaves
·      3 tbsp olive oil
·      1 tbsp red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper


Add all the ingredients to a large bowl. Mix together the anchovies, olive oil, vinegar, basil (or coriander) in a bowl and whisk. Season and pour over the salad ingredients. Toss to combine and serve. 

Chicken Couscous
CHICKEN COUSCOUS

 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 Medium Onion -- chopped

  2 Cloves Garlic
 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne
2 Medium Carrots -- chopped
 1 Cup Chicken Broth
 1 Pound Chicken Breast -- strips
1 Medium Zucchini -- dials
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Whole Wheat Couscous
 3 Tablespoons Parsley
2 Stalks Celery -- chopped
1 Cup Cauliflower -- chopped
1 Medium Red Bell Pepper -- chopped
1 Medium Turnip
1 Tablespoon of Cumin
1 Can of Tomato -- diced

Sauté in oil, onion and garlic  for 5 minutes . Stir in seasonings. Add tomatoes, carrots, celery  cauliflower, pepper, turnip and broth. Boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken and zucchini, 10 more minutes. Cook couscous as directed. Fluff with fork. Stir into mixture.

Peach Melba

PEACH MELBA

1 can (15 oz.) sliced peaches in light syrup, drained

1 container (1/2 pt.) raspberries

2 Tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. lemon juice or to taste
4 scoops Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream (about 2 cups)


I'm looking forward to experiencing new dishes and invite you all to join me as I cook my way through Africa!


- FARIDA

No comments:

Post a Comment